We all get injured from time to time. When you do get injured, you have no doubt observed and experienced how your body has responded to the injury. One common response is inflammation, where your injury becomes hot, red and painful. Internal inflammation also exists. It may not be visible, obvious or even all that painful. However, it can cause serious health problems.
Internal inflammation can be caused by having high insulin levels in your blood stream on a consistent basis. It can also possibly lead to insulin resistance.
Anti inflammatory drugs are prescribed to treat inflammation caused by arthritis and various skeletal problems. These non steroidal drugs are documented as having caused side effects including ulcers of the stomach. Caution should be exercised when using these NSAIDs with medications such as Warfarin or aspirin which are known to thin the blood.
Other Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatories include Ibuprofen, Celebrex and Voltarin
Panadol and Tylenol (which contain acetaminophen) are common over the counter anti inflammatories…. as of course are Aspirin and Tylenol.
Be aware that acetaminophen, if taken in quantity has been known to cause liver damage.( Urinary problems and skin rashes are other problems that may arise)
Aspirin is the most commonly used anti inflammatory medications for back pain. As surprising as it may seem, aspirin can cause side effects which although rare, can sometimes be serious.
Tylenol will relieve pain but does not reduce inflammation.
Remember, that all medications available over the counter for back pain will provide some relief but with some risks.
Another condition that can potentially cause inflammation is when your cells grow insensitive to insulin. Your pancreas might grow more active. It then can release higher levels of insulin as an attempt to reduce the increasing levels of sugar in your blood stream.
Harmful changes can occur inside your body when you have high insulin levels on a consistent basis. Your arterial walls may be potentially damaged. Your kidney may secrete less salt, you may develop higher blood pressure and your blood may tend to thicken. These are all conditions you may develop over time if your insulin level stays too high. A decrease in High Density Lipids and elevated triglycerides can seriously threaten the future health of anyone suffering from the harmful effects that inflammation brings to the body.
Eating some or all of the following foods is a healthy and natural way to help reduce the harmful effects that inflammation can cause.
* Scallions, or green onions, are an excellent source of quercetin, a flavonoid with anti-inflammatory properties.
* Romain lettuce contains selenium, which has many healthy benefits. Romaine contains many other benefits as well and is also quite tasty.
* Onions are one of the best natural anti inflammatory foods you can eat. Red onions in particular are rich in phytonutrients, which are powerful anti-inflammatory agents.
* Leeks are a very healthy vegetable full of very strong sulfur compounds, which have very powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
*Sesame seeds- both the seeds and oil are anti-inflammatory. However, don’t use sesame seed oil when cooking. The oil actually becomes inflammatory when cooked. When cooking you should use oil olive. Sesame oil can be used on cold foods such as salads.
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains powerful polyphenols. They protect your blood vessels and heart from inflammation. Monounsaturated fats are also contained in olive oil. These fats turned into an effective anti-inflammatory agent. Another oil that contains monounsaturated fats is avocado oil, which is a great oil to use for cooking.
* Green tea is full of flavonoids, which are powerful and completely natural anti-inflammatory agents. Green tea is not as processed as other teas, and therefore offers more antioxidant polyphenols.
* Salmon contains DHA and EPA. These omega-3 fatty acids are very effective for fighting inflammation. Many studies have supported that healthy benefits that omega-3s provide to the body. Many of these studies show the omega-3s do an excellent job at healing inflammation. Walnuts and flaxseeds are also good sources of omega-3 fats. There are also supplements available with omega-3 fatty acids.
* Parsley is rich in nutrients with not only anti-inflammatory substances, but detoxifying and anti-spasmodic ones as well that help with digestive problems such as indigestion and colic.
* Spinach and kale both are rich in carotenoids, a powerful anti inflammatory antioxidant.
*Garlic contains high amounts of the powerful antioxidant quercetin and is a readily available natural anti inflammatory treatment.
* Soaked walnuts contain high levels of omega-3 fatty oils and vitamin E. When walnuts are soaked for a couple of hours in water, it reduces the fat concentration and makes it easier to digest the nuts.
* Broccoli contains high levels of calcium and vitamin C. This green vegetable is one of the most powerful natural anti inflammatory treatments and healthiest foods you can eat.
* Tumeric is one of the strongest natural anti inflammatory treatments to fight autoimmune forms of inflammation and pain. Tumeric helps to boost antioxidant production in your body.
Two of the fastest ways of reducing inflammation without the dangers of some anti inflammatory medications is to quit using stimulants and stop smoking cigarettes. Nicotine and caffeine are both taxing and unhealthy for your body. Reducing or completely eliminating them will help to significantly decrease your inflammation.
I hope that this page will help you in moving to a pain free life. We will continue to research this important area and report regularly on new and improved anti inflammatory medications